Author Topic: Specs on the new Panasonic AC-90  (Read 1682 times)

Online Chris Harding

• f/1.2 Member
    • Softweigh Multimedia
  • Camcorders Owned: 2 x Sony NEX EA-50, 2 x Nikon D90's and a GoPro Hero 2
  • NLEs Used: Vegas 10E
Specs on the new Panasonic AC-90
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:25:43 AM »
Hi Guys
Some initial information on the AC-90 at DV Expo from Bob Diaz ....this looks like a winner from Panny and unlike the 130/160 it has no autofocus issues either!!
http://youtu.be/WY07Ge_tg3s
Chris

2 x Sony NEX EA-50 Cameras and Vegas 10.0 for editing and DVDLab for authoring.

www.weddingvideoswa.com

Offline Dave Baker

• f/1.2 Member
  • Camcorders Owned: NV-GS250, HF S100, EOS 60D, HF G30 and an EOS 550D if I ask nicely
  • NLEs Used: Kdenlive, Avidemux, Vegas Pro, VirtualDub
Re: Specs on the new Panasonic AC-90
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 04:12:04 AM »
Hi Chris,

It looks like a good piece of kit. I especially like the lens rings for focus, zoom and iris and the way the LCD retracts into the handle for protection. The button functions are reasonably comprehensive I see and to be able to access zebras, colour bars, white balance, manual/auto focus and iris without recourse to the menu would be almost heaven for me.

I still hate touch screens, but as as everything needed for shooting is available without using the screen, I could live with it.

As you say, it looks like a winner. I haven't seen a pound price yet, but a projected Euro price of €1,800 means it ought to quite affordable.

Dave

Online Chris Harding

• f/1.2 Member
    • Softweigh Multimedia
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 07:07:57 AM »
Hi Dave
I think the HMC users are going to fight to get one ... with an LCD with 1.1 million pixels against the usual 230,000 the screens are awesome..plus XLR and dual card slots..it also has a bigger (and wider) lens and backlit chips and the IQ is awesome.  It's actually not that small..much bigger than the HMC40 and about the same size as the DVX100 ... price bracket in the USA is projected at $2000 so the price might even drop a bit too...There is no a lot out there at this quality for that price.  It also has spot focus and spot exposure!
Yeah I don't like touch screens either  but all the "running" controls are extrenal so you would only use the menu now to change modes or format cards and wouldn't need to access the menu during filming.
I wonder what our PAL price would be like ??? If it's reasonable I would most definately grab on as a B-Cam ..Because of the forward and high mounted LCD like Sony have, it would only need a simple rail system under the camera and a shoulder pad at the end plus a nice loupe  (the one that the GH1 guys use is nice as it fixes onto the LCD nicely) and you have a nice lightweight shoulder-mount camera too!!
Chris

www.weddingvideoswa.com

Online Tom Dickerson

• f/1.2 Member
    • Faith Harbor Ministries
  • Camcorders Owned: Panasonic AG HMC40, Canon 60D, Canon T2i, PV GS300
  • NLEs Used: Edius 2.5 Booster, Adobe PE8
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:14:36 AM »
If I were in the market for a prosumer/pro camera to replace my HMC40 this would be it.

Online Chris Harding

• f/1.2 Member
    • Softweigh Multimedia
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 09:53:34 AM »
Hi Guys
This is Bob's initial video at the expo...see how well the OIS works at half zoom during the interview...it controls motion on a 5 axis basis!!!
https://vimeo.com/49948875
Chris

www.weddingvideoswa.com

anything