Author Topic: Sony Announces New Prosumer Camcorder  (Read 1902 times)

Offline Guy Bruner

• Publisher
  • Administrator
  • f/1.2 Member
    • http://www.camcorderuser.net
  • Camcorders Owned: Canon HV20; Sony SLT-A65V
  • NLEs Used: Sony Vegas Professional
Sony Announces New Prosumer Camcorder
« on: June 25, 2010, 08:52:10 AM »
Sony is replacing the venerable A-1 with a new 1/2.88 " 6 Mpxl, single Exmor sensor camcorder that shoots 1920x1080i, 24 Mbps AVCHD to flash memory.  Retail price is $1695US.

Read the HXRMC50U product detail page here.

The A-1 was a fine little camcorder, but it is past time to move away from tape.  The feature set of the HXRMC50U and the price will make it an option to the more expensive HMC40 Panasonic.  I am interested in seeing the PQ of this new cam, especially in low light.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:53:53 AM by Guy Bruner »
Guy

Offline Tom Dickerson

• f/1.2 Member
    • Faith Harbor Ministries
  • Camcorders Owned: Panasonic AG HMC40, Canon 60D, Canon T2i, PV GS300
  • NLEs Used: Edius 2.5 Booster, Adobe PE8
Re: Sony Announces New Prosumer Camcorder
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 02:43:27 PM »
After reading the brochure I doubt I would have purchased this new Sony over the Panasonic HMC40. I only paid $140 more for my HMC40 and it came with Edius Neo 2 software, multiple HD resolutions, progressive modes and bit rates; 3 MOS, 12X zoom, 2 savable scene files; a nicer physical size - not too big, not too small, a handle, a flip up EVF etc.

Now if you compare the $1695 with the typical going rate (for the HMC40) at $1945 - that's $250 difference. I still doubt I would purchase the Sony over the HMC40 but others might....

Maybe someone can convince me to consider this Sony as a second camera?  :D  Believe me, after all I have just purchased it will be a long, long, time before I can buy another camera.  :(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:00:04 PM by Tom Dickerson »

Online Chris Harding

• f/1.2 Member
    • Softweigh Multimedia
  • Camcorders Owned: 2 x Sony NEX EA-50, 2 x Nikon D90's and a GoPro Hero 2
  • NLEs Used: Vegas 10E
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 05:43:43 PM »
Hi Guy

One would have thought that Sony had learnt their lesson with low light performance after the HD1000 which also has a single CMOS sensor and absolutely dismal low light performance.

Wonder why they stayed with the single sensor ????

Chris
2 x Sony NEX EA-50 Cameras and Vegas 10.0 for editing and DVDLab for authoring.

www.weddingvideoswa.com

Offline Guy Bruner

• Publisher
  • Administrator
  • f/1.2 Member
    • http://www.camcorderuser.net
  • Camcorders Owned: Canon HV20; Sony SLT-A65V
  • NLEs Used: Sony Vegas Professional
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 06:22:49 PM »
Keep in mind, Tom, that the price shown is the list price.  I'm sure the camcorder's selling price will be significantly discounted which will widen the price difference between it and the HMC40 which is already selling at a discount.

Chris >> In the last few years, Sony has separated their consumer/low end prosumer line from their professional camcorders by limiting the number of sensors.  It is possible to have decent low light sensitivity with a single CMOS sensor provided you don't pack the sensor with pixels (fewer pixels equals larger light buckets).  There is something of a trade off with camcorders that offer high pixel still images that consumers demand when high pixel counts result in degraded low light performance.  Panasonic deals with that by using three 960x540 sensors and pixel shift technology in their higher end camcorders.  This C50U model is so new that there is no independent test data on it yet.  Perhaps the new CMOS they are using is significantly improved over the HD1000.

Guy

Online Chris Harding

• f/1.2 Member
    • Softweigh Multimedia
  • Camcorders Owned: 2 x Sony NEX EA-50, 2 x Nikon D90's and a GoPro Hero 2
  • NLEs Used: Vegas 10E
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 07:25:11 PM »
Thanks for the info Guy!!

Hopefully they have improved it..if you shoot indoors with the HD1000 the image looks like it has a piece of nylon stocking stretched over it!! The image is great in good light of course but the video noise is unreal when you go indoors, even in a well lit scenario!!

This pic gives you an idea!!

Chris

2 x Sony NEX EA-50 Cameras and Vegas 10.0 for editing and DVDLab for authoring.

www.weddingvideoswa.com

Offline Tom Dickerson

• f/1.2 Member
    • Faith Harbor Ministries
  • Camcorders Owned: Panasonic AG HMC40, Canon 60D, Canon T2i, PV GS300
  • NLEs Used: Edius 2.5 Booster, Adobe PE8
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 08:19:16 PM »
Guy - I know those silly list prices just make people feel like they get a good deal when they buy it cheaper, but in all honesty, the HMC40 is over-priced at $1940 and that's why I didn't purchase it for that much. At $1820 I felt I got an okay deal, but the Sony will have to retail closer to the $1500's if it plans on having a serious following, in my opinion. The specs just aren't that great.

Come on CamcorderUser.net people...let's hear your opinions!  What would it take to get you to purchase a prosumer camcorder right now?

Offline Shaun Stoddart

• Mr. Romantique
  • f/1.2 Member
  • Love the HMC152
    • Leisure Sports Marine
  • Camcorders Owned: AG-HMC152, RIP AG-DVX102BEN and GS300, Canon 7D
  • NLEs Used: Sony Vegas, After Effects and Corel ProX5 ULTIMATE
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 09:16:55 AM »
No progressive mode from what I can tell, and no 720/60p, deal breaker right there. Good choice with the HMC40 Tom, this new Sony thing doesn't compare.

No progressive modes in a Sony cam doesn't come as a shock either even still in this day and age. Sony stands for, SIX O'clock News Yo! Because thats about what interlaced footage is good for.

Can't half tell i'll never own a Sony! ;D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:22:46 AM by Shaun Stoddart »

anything