Author Topic: Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 not responding  (Read 6790 times)

Offline robert horton

• f/8 Member
Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 not responding
« on: January 06, 2011, 08:04:55 AM »
Hi all,
I thought when I bought my new computer editing would be much improved but this is not the case. I trialled Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 on my old XP computer with a fairly low spec. and things seemed to work reasonably well, so I bought the software which I do like.
As I wanted to move to editing HD I bought a new computer (spec. at the end). Now even with only 20 seconds of video on the timeline, as soon as I do a little compositing, (eg using track motion to get picture in picture), it hangs. I get the message 'not responding' at the top and the rotating circle. Eventually it comes back on line but then hangs again even if I just move the cursor position. This is happening even with just a few seconds of avi files.
Does anyone have any useful comments or suggestions please. Could it be the new computer is 64 bit?
Thanks in advance
Bob H
Computer spec.
Intel Core i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
ASUS P6X58D-E: DDR3 motherboard
6GB SAMSUNG DDR3 TRI-DDR3 1333MHz RAM
1GB ATI RADEON HD5770 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX 11 graphics card

Offline Guy Bruner

• Publisher
  • Administrator
  • f/1.2 Member
    • http://www.camcorderuser.net
  • Camcorders Owned: Canon HV20; Sony SLT-A65V
  • NLEs Used: Sony Vegas Professional
Re: Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 not responding
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:24:46 AM »
Bob,
What operating system is on your new computer?  I see you have 6 GB RAM, so I suspect Win7 64 bit.  It won't matter if VMS 10 is 32 bit.  I use Vegas Pro 32 on Win7 64 bit and it works fine.  The only thing is that VMS 32 will only use 2 GB of ram.   What are the specs on your hard drives?

I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling VMS.  Accept the default installation recommendations.  When it is installed, check Options/Preferences/Video and make sure Dynamic Ram Preview is a reasonable number like 350 MB.  Also, your max number of rendering threads should either be 4 or 8, depending on if the i7-950 has hyperthreading.
Guy

Offline robert horton

• f/8 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 10:31:34 AM »
Thanks Guy for your prompt response.

VMS is on Drive C (1 TB internal serial ATA 3-GB/s 16MB CACHE at 7200rpm)
Data and projects are on Drive D (500 GB internal data drive serial ATA 3 GB/s 8MB CACHE at 7200rpm).

I also have several external drives connected by Firewire bit I have not used these.

Operating System is W7 64bit. I did not realise VMS was 32 and only uses 2GB Ram.

I have already reinstalled VMS. Dynamic Ram Preview is set at 350MB. Max number of rendering threads is set at 4. Should I set this to 8 as I ave 4 cores which is 8 with hyperthreading.

One thing I noticed was that when it was not responding I went into Task Manager which gave 0% processor activity. Usually several minutes later it would start responding again until I tried to do something. Even playing back a scene caused it to crash again.

Any further help will be greatly appreciated.

Bob H

Online Dave Baker

• f/1.2 Member
  • Camcorders Owned: NV-GS250, HF S100, EOS 60D, HF G30 and an EOS 550D if I ask nicely
  • NLEs Used: Kdenlive, Avidemux, Vegas Pro, VirtualDub
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:51:01 AM »
Hi Bob,

Now Guy's on the case I will not interfere, but I have one little suggestion. Right click on your desktop, select gadgets and then CPU meter, it will show a CPU meter and a RAM meter which you can position anywhere on your desktop. It's useful in such situations and saves going into Task Manager each time.

Dave

Offline Guy Bruner

• Publisher
  • Administrator
  • f/1.2 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 12:23:10 PM »
Bob,
Check Sony to make sure you have the latest revision and build.  It could be a bug that they fixed subsequent to your purchase.  If you are current, you might want to try Soluto which is a free program that lets you control what programs are booting on startup.  It might be a memory conflict.  Soluto looks to be a good program to have in any case.  Check your page file size to make sure Windows is managing it at a reasonable size (~2x working memory).

You might want to check the event log in Control Panel/Performance Information and Tools/Advanced Tools to see if it is capturing the problem.

I recommend that you try this solution if the prior actions don't fix your problem.

Hey Dave, interfere away!!
Guy

Offline robert horton

• f/8 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 05:30:49 AM »
Hi Digidave, thanks for the CPU meter suggestion.

Hi Guy, firstly what exactly does Soluto do? Secondly, how do I check my Page File size and working memory? All a little beyond me! I have viewed the event log but what am I looking for here?

Finally your 'this solution' seems a bit daunting for someone like me, although I guess I could reinstall VMS if I muck it up. I will see if the problem occurs again. My son, who is a computer wizkid comes in a few weeks. I can ask him to have a look at 'this solution'

Thanks again, any other comments welcome. I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Bob H

Offline Chris Harding

• f/1.2 Member
    • Softweigh Multimedia
  • Camcorders Owned: 2 x Sony NEX EA-50, 2 x Nikon D90's and a GoPro Hero 2
  • NLEs Used: Vegas 10E
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 07:30:47 AM »
Hi Bob

I have read plenty of posts on other forums where the guys are using Win 7 -64 and they swear by reducing the Dynamic Ram Preview right down to zero!!!

I'm still on XP after reading all the Win 7 problems but the DRP set at 350 seems to be a common issue and easily fixed by making it as small as you can.

It's certainly worth a shot!!!!

Chris
2 x Sony NEX EA-50 Cameras and Vegas 10.0 for editing and DVDLab for authoring.

www.weddingvideoswa.com

Online Dave Baker

• f/1.2 Member
  • Camcorders Owned: NV-GS250, HF S100, EOS 60D, HF G30 and an EOS 550D if I ask nicely
  • NLEs Used: Kdenlive, Avidemux, Vegas Pro, VirtualDub
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 09:57:57 AM »
Hi Chris,

I had a few teething problems with Win 7 64-bit, the majority being finding suitable software to replace old favourites that are not compatible and discovering the right settings. Now it's fine and I wouldn't go back.

I have both 64-bit and 32-bit Vegas Pro 9 installed. I haven't used 32-bit except to test and compare render times, it's in another thread. I checked the DRP settings in each, 64-bit was 512 and 32-bit 350. I experimented in 64-bit, setting it to 0, I saw no difference, so I set it to maximum. I got a warning box up, but went ahead. Preview was awful. I left it set to 100 for now.

Bob, to find your paging file size, go Control Panel/System And Security/System/Advanced System Settings/Advanced tab/Performance Settings/Advanced tab

I don't know Soluto, but I use Win Patrol , it's freeware and it controls your startup applications as well as doing a lot of other useful stuff. There's an option to subscribe to "Plus", a once only fee, to get more information if you need it. I find it useful.

I notice "this solution" is for Win 7 32-bit, I have no idea if that makes a difference.

You don't specify what type of files you are working with, I know you say AVI, but are they DV-AVI or converted from an HD format?

Dave

Offline robert horton

• f/8 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 11:37:28 AM »
Thanks Chris and Digidave for your comments.

Digidave, I found my paging file size is 6135MB. Does this seem reasonable?

Cheers again

Bob H

Offline Guy Bruner

• Publisher
  • Administrator
  • f/1.2 Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »
"The solution" is altering the 32 bit Vegas software to allow it to recognize more than 2 GB RAM.  I haven't looked at it lately, but I believe it can go up to 4 GB with this mod.  I have never had any problems with a default installation so I have not implemented the mod.   My setup is using 4 cores and 350 MB DRP.

I think your paging file is too large.  6 GB takes a while to write to hard disk and read back, even a speedy one.  Plus, with Vegas you are only using 2 GB max.  There is a procedure here that allows you to calculate the correct size.  However, if you are primarily running 32 bit applications one at a time, you can just set it to 2 GB for both min and max.  If you run multiple applications at once and minimize those you are not using currently, then you need to do the calculation because Windows pages out minimized applications.

Another thing that might work for Vegas is to create a RAM drive and set the Windows page file to the RAM drive.  This could work very well for you because you have a lot of RAM that is sitting idle when you use a 32 bit application.  You can get a free RAMdisk here that will allow you to make a 4 GB drive.  That should be plenty for anything you are doing.  Also, you can go into Vegas Options/Preferences/General and set your temporary files folder to the RAM drive.  That could speed things up a lot.
Guy

Offline robert horton

• f/8 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 05:47:52 AM »
Thanks Guy for your comments and continued interest. I have downloaded the instructions concerning paging files and will have a look. I have also downloaded the 4GB RAMDisk and instructions and again will have a look. As more and more people are moving to W7 64 bit, is there likely to be a 64 bit version of VMS in the near future, so we can utilise all our RAM? Am I correct in thinking the Vegas PRO software has a 64 bit version. I will keep all informed, but as I have limited knowledge and experience in this field I hope to discuss it with my 'compuer geek' son next weekend.

Thanks again

Bob H

Offline robert horton

• f/8 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 05:50:08 AM »
Hi Chris and anyone else, can you suggest these other VMS sites that might be useful?

Bob H

Offline Guy Bruner

• Publisher
  • Administrator
  • f/1.2 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 08:25:56 AM »
Bob,
There is a 64 bit version of Vegas Pro.  I don't know if Sony plans to move VMS to 64 bit, but I suspect they will eventually as the inventory of 64 bit capable computers rises. 

You can access the Sony Creative Software forums here.
Guy

Offline Chris Harding

• f/1.2 Member
    • Softweigh Multimedia
  • Camcorders Owned: 2 x Sony NEX EA-50, 2 x Nikon D90's and a GoPro Hero 2
  • NLEs Used: Vegas 10E
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 05:26:32 PM »
Hi Bob

The DVInfo forum has a Vegas section with quite a few experts on it too so that's worth reading now and again. They handle both VMS and Pro questions and answers.

Chris
2 x Sony NEX EA-50 Cameras and Vegas 10.0 for editing and DVDLab for authoring.

www.weddingvideoswa.com

Offline robert horton

• f/8 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 11:05:23 AM »
Thanks Guy and Chris for the Forum suggestions.

Bob H